The Kentucky State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) provides assistance with access in public and private benefits, education and assistance for individuals aged sixty (60) or older and also disabled individuals within the FIVCO ADD Region (Boyd, Carter, Elliott, Greenup, & Lawrence Counties.) to help aid them in making informed decisions on programs that are impacting their quality of life.
The SHIP Program recruits and then trains volunteers across the state to become SHIP Counselors. Then the SHIP Counselors provide older Kentuckians individual, one-on-one, assistance with the often complicated and confusing Medicare, Medicaid, and other public and private programs.
Kinds of Help SHIP Counselors Can Provide
- Providing accurate and current information on programs for older adults.
- Understanding and organizing paperwork (e.g., hospital bills, doctor bills, Medicare notices).
- Comparing long term care and medigap insurance policies.
- Applying for income-based benefits (e.g., Medicaid, SSI, food stamps).
- Referring you to appropriate agencies for application for programs.
Services/Programs SHIP Counselors Assist With:
- Medicare Supplemental Insurance
- Long Term Care Insurance
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Social Security
- Housing Problems
- Energy Assistance
- Food Stamps
- Veteran’s Administration Benefits
- Low Income Subsidy
- Medicare D Prescription Plan
Individuals must be over the age of sixty (60) or disabled. Family members and caregivers are also eligible for services.
There is no charge for the service. The Kentucky SHIP Program is funded through a grant from the Health Care Financing Administration and the Older Americans Act.
How Can You Find a Benefits Counselor?
- Call FIVCO ADD ADRC toll-free at (800) 499-5191 or (606) 929-1366.
- Your local Senior Citizen Center or;
- Call Kentucky Statewide SHIP toll-free at (877) 293-7447